Sep 1, 2008

Just a thought.

You watch the weather channel during one of these storm events or just about any major news outlet, and they have reporters on the ground.

I find this somewhat humorous...

Putting a person out in the weather like that. This is news?

Newsperson: IT’S WINDY! (surprise)

Newsperson: IT’S RAINING! (surprise)

Um... last time I checked, that’s the definition of a storm. I’m waiting for that one golden moment when one of these poor clowns is out there and a billboard or something comes flying along and takes them out on camera. Maybe then they’ll stop sending people out into this crap.

Also, I think television does a disservice by having their correspondents do stuff like that.

I think people watch this stuff on TV and figure if the newsies can be out in the soup, there really shouldn’t be too much of a problem should they decide to sit out a storm or go out in really bad weather either. It runs contrary to all those warnings they broadcast telling people to hunker down for the duration of the bad weather.

I think it was in The Day After Tomorrow where there was a point in the movie when tornados were hitting the LA basin and a reporter decided to be out covering in when a car got thrown his way. It made for a funny movie moment and underlined the stupidity of the whole exercise but it will be a lot different if it happens in real life.

Some food for thought.

No comments: